When it comes to outdoor activities, whether you’re hiking, camping, or going on a road trip, preparation is the key. Any outdoor activity that takes you away from civilization and into the great outdoors will almost certainly pose some measure of risk. You need to be prepared for anything that nature throws your way so you can stay safe and enjoy your time outdoors without worry. A survival kit is one way to ensure that you have the basics covered no matter what happens while you’re outdoors. There are many different components of a good survival kit, and they differ depending on your unique needs as an individual. Regardless of the type of kit you choose to create, having some sort of emergency pack packed with items that could assist in an emergency situation should be a priority for anyone who spends time outside in any capacity.
The basic items should always be included in every survival kit. The items listed below are often found in a variety of different emergency kits.
- Water – This one is obvious, but it needs to be said anyway. You can go days without food, but you can only last a few hours without water.
- Food – A calorie-rich food item like granola bars or energy bars can be a lifesaver in emergency situations. They’re easy to keep on your person and they don’t take up much space in your bag.
- First Aid Kit – A good emergency kit always has a first aid kit to address any wounds you may get while outside. It’s a good idea to have one with a wide variety of supplies such as bandages, gauze, antibiotic ointments, and pain relievers.
- Small Knife – Having a small blade is always a good idea. It can be used for anything from simple tasks like cutting rope and opening food containers to self-defence.
Build a Kit Based on Your Needs
The goal of building a survival kit is to equip yourself for any and all potential dangers outdoors. Once you know the potential risks, you can create a kit that will effectively combat them and keep you safe. If you’re hiking or backpacking, your main concerns will likely be dehydration and getting lost. You’ll want to include items like water, a map, and other navigation supplies, and a first aid kit with a signal flare or signal mirror, in your kit. If you’re going camping near a water source, your main concerns will be staying hydrated and preventing wild animals from stealing your food. You’ll want to pack items like a water bottle, bandages, and food containers to keep your food protected. The best way to build a kit tailored to your needs is to first identify the potential dangers of your chosen activity. Once you know what dangers you’ll face, you can create a kit that will effectively combat them and keep you safe.
First Aid Supplies
There is no doubt that first aid kits are important, but what exactly goes in them? The best first aid kits are compact, so they can be easily carried in a backpack or a small bag.. Your first aid kit should include the following items:
- A first aid manual – It’s a good idea to keep a first aid manual in your first aid kit to remind yourself what to do in a given situation.
- A small pair of scissors – Scissors can come in handy for cutting bandages or clothing.
- First aid treatment – Keep first aid treatments in your kit that can treat a variety of different injuries like cuts, scrapes, and burns.
- Antiseptic wipes – These are a good way to clean small wounds and prevent infection.
- Cleansing pads – Keeping cleansing pads in your first aid kit is a good idea because they can be used to clean small wounds.
- Gauze – Gauze is useful for wrapping wounds and stopping bleeding.
- Bandages – Bandages are useful for covering cuts, scrapes, and burns.
Fire Starting Tools
If you’re ever caught in a situation where you find yourself without access to heat or electricity, fire is an essential survival tool. Fire not only provides warmth, but it can also cook food and repel wild animals. Fire can be extremely difficult to start, though. While it’s possible to start a fire with just about anything, it usually takes longer than is safe in some situations. A good fire starter can make the process easier and more efficient. There are many different types of fire starters available. Some are easier to use than others, so read reviews to find one that meets your needs. You can also make your own fire starter using things like flint, steel wool, and dryer lint.
Tool and Repairs Kits
Depending on the activity you’re doing, you may need a few tools to make repairs or perform simple tasks. It’s a good idea to keep a tool kit in your bag at all times. You never know when you’ll need to tighten a screw, close a hole, or perform any number of other small tasks. A basic tool kit should include the following items:
- A screwdriver set – You never know when you’ll need to tighten a screw or close a hole. A screwdriver set is one of the most essential tools you can keep in your bag.
- A wrench set – Wrenches are used for a variety of different tasks, so it’s a good idea to keep one in your bag at all times.
- A multipurpose tool – A multipurpose tool can be used for almost any repair or small task. It’s a good idea to keep one in your bag at all times.
- A utility knife – A utility knife can be used for a variety of different tasks. It’s a good idea to keep one in your bag at all times.
Food is an essential part of any emergency kit. It can be used to provide energy, prevent dehydration, and help calm an upset stomach. Most importantly, food can provide the energy you need to get out of a dangerous situation. While you can survive for weeks without food, it’s still a good idea to keep a supply of emergency food on hand in case you ever find yourself in a situation where food is scarce. A good emergency food supply should include the following items:
- Water – Water is essential for survival, but it’s also heavy. It’s a good idea to keep a supply of water in your bag in a lightweight container.
- Energy bars – these bars are an excellent source of energy. Keep a supply of energy bars in your bag to help you remain active.
- Rice – Rice is a filling food that can be eaten on its own or as part of a larger meal.
- Noodles – a filling food that can be eaten on its own or as part of a larger meal.
- Canned food – Canned food is a good source of protein and can be eaten on its own or as part of a larger meal.
The best survival kit is the one that’s right for you. The items you include in your kit should be tailored to your needs and chosen based on how you intend to use the kit. If you’re planning on going hiking, keep in mind that you’ll need a different type of kit than if you’re planning on going camping. Once you know the dangers you’ll face, you can create a kit that will keep you safe. A survival kit is an essential piece of equipment for any outdoor enthusiast.